Monday, April 17, 2006

I have reached Day +4

That means that I got my melphalan / chemotherapy on day "-2" and got my own blood stem cells back on Day "0" and now we've reached "+4" Whoop-dee-do.

Basically, I make sure I get my anti-nausea medicine on time and avoid that trouble. Besides that, we are waiting for my old blood cells to die and my new blood cells to 'engraft' (get to work) and start producing new healthy blood cells again. Right now it is a waiting game and a pretty boring one at that.

Since my system is weak -- a common cold could put me in the hospital (Oh; I'm already in one every day!) -- there is not much I am allowed to do. So I spend most of the day sitting in this chair, studying for my Oracle certification, reading odd internet news. And at lucky times, I get mails from some of you and get to write you a note back.

When I get all my medications lined up just right, I get to sleep the sleep of the time peacefully. At about four-thirty, they ship me back to the apartment and I watch a bit of TV, eat dinner, shower and by ten o'clock I am off to bed. The next day it all starts again. So I am just waiting for the cell counts to fall to zero and then rebound up to new levels.

The normal timeline will get me out of here Sunday or Monday. But there are big risks that I can still get caught with a bad fever or other complications. Anything like that would add days.

All my best to you all ...

No comments:

Post a Comment