Tuesday, January 29, 2013

That's What She Said..

"That's What She Said!"

"Hearsay, Your Honor." is said in court to attempt to block second hand information. 

What I want to tell you about IS 'what she said.' So, I'm not making this up. I heard it myself. It was said to me. There are even witnesses. 

Here is what Mildred L. said. "Mark, you look so much better than the last time we saw you."  I was surprised. Very.

She called her husband, Dr. L over to join us. "Don't you think Mark looks so muh better than when he came to our garden party?"  she asked him.
"Yes. I see he is looking so much more, what is the right word.. Fit. Right?"
"Yes, you are right."
"Mark, you are really doing much better aren't you?" Dr L asked.
"Mark. Tell us. How are you feeling?" Mrs L really wanted to know.

These two are remarkable people. I admire them both so very much.

What a really fun and pleasant thing for me to hear. Wow! This is a man who is an elite physician; an anesthesiologist with over 35 years of being the one most responsible for protecting patients' thread of life while sedated. He sees things others do not when he looks at people. He recognized a change in me. He sees that the cancer has actually stopped draining my life away.

I am so much stronger than anytime in the past 2 1/2 years. It would make me happier if I could be off the Revlimid like when we were in the Philippines. That was the ultimate experience for me. The myeloma was already in remission. I had been off Revlimid for three weeks before and not at all while we were there. No chemo and full health at the same time = Life Lived Large, for me!

My greatest ally, my pain management physician, Dr "Pete" Isidro was there too. Once the party really got going he was up on the dance floor and it wasn't long before Femi & I started to dance too. When Dr. Pete spotted me, he came alongside and said to Femi, "I don't think Mark needs me anymore. He is doing so well. I must have healed him, I guess." And then I was closer to him a few minutes later. He said to me, "Mark - You look like you don't need me anymore. What do you think?"

I don't know what I would do without his help. "I think I am doing so well only thanks to your help. If I wasn't following the treatment plan you made for me, there is no chance I would be doing this well." Oh I really hope he does not feel that I do not need his help.

Next Tuesday, I will go see him at his office and maybe I will have to exaggerate my pain.... maybe not... 

No comments:

Post a Comment