Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Radiation Placebo May Be Effective

I guess I commented earlier that I cannot tell whether or not I am actually getting radiation. And I am pretty sure that I am getting real radiation treatments. Actually, I think I felt something touching inside my bones when I was inside the machine last week!

But if they told me it was all in my head, I couldn't prove otherwise. I just lay down on this stainless steel table. The Operator uncovers my tattoos and lines me up with the red laser lights so I will be in the place the machine expects me to be. They leave the room and let this huge 12 inch thick door slide shut. They say they are going to create a CT Scan that will show them how close I am to being in absolutely in the right spot. Then they come back and make sub-millimeter adjustments using hand adjustments on the table. The instant they let go of the table they usually run out of the room and stay gone for about 7 minutes. I have to lay totally still from the very first moment I am in there so I can't really see whether they leave the room or not. If they stay, they are pretty good at keeping quite, because I never hear them.

Anyway; during that 7 minutes or so, the machine makes all kinds silly sounding slapping and clapping and buzzing and humming sounds that change location -- but always coming out from somewhere around the edge of the big donut that surrounds me.

If it's a placebo, then fine. Whatever. Because I am feeling better.

Yeah! I haven't felt pain higher than a 6 on my 10 point scale since the very first night of radiation. And that, my friends, is Cool. Way Cool!

So I still take an enormous amount of pain medication. But it is a smaller enormous than last week -- down from three times a day to two times a day. {Mike told me that the pill I take is the biggest one that you can get. And he should know!} All I need is a few more days at this level and I will ask to go another step forward. I mean; I want to stop taking pain medication ASAP -- but it has had a month to get friendly with my brain and body. So we'll taper it off to avoid creating some kind of withdrawal reaction, I'm pretty sure.

So; I guess it's not a trick. They are using real radiation, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment